Martin and Westie 1959
1. The Bible is the inspired word of God.
2. The religious idea of heaven is not much more than superstition.
3. Christ was a mortal‚ historical person‚ but not a super natural or divine being.
4. Christ is a divine being‚ the Son of God.
5. The stories in the Bible about Christ healing sick and lame persons by His touch are fictitious and mythical.
6. Someday Christ will return.
7. The idea of life after death is simply a myth.
8. If more of the people in this country would turn to Christ we would have a lot less crime and corruption.
9. Since Christ brought the dead to life‚ He gave eternal life to all who have faith.
Strongly agree‚ Agree‚ disagree‚ Strongly disagree
Items 1‚ 4‚ 6‚ 8 and 9 are "positive " for scoring purposes‚ whereas 2‚ 3‚ 5‚ and 7 are "negative" items.
Martin‚ J. and Westie‚ F. (1959). The tolerant personality. American Sociological Review‚ 24‚ 521-528.
Robinson‚ John P.‚ Shaver‚ Phillip R. (1969). Measures of Political Attitudes. Institute for Social Research‚ University of Michigan/. Ann Arbor‚ Michigan