I. Types of Involvement:
1. About how often‚ if ever‚ have you attended religious services in the last year?
a) Once a week‚ or more
b) Two or three times a month
c) Once a month
d) A few times a year or less
2. Do you take part in any of the activities or organizations of your church (synagogue‚ temple) other than attending services?
How often have you done these things in the last year? (Use same responses categories as f o r #1 above.)
1. What is (was) your husband's (wife's) religious preference?
2. Of those relatives you really feel close to‚ what proportion are (same religion as respondent)?
a) All of them
b) Nearly all of them
c) More than half of them
d) Less than half of them
e) None of them
3. Thinking of your closest friends‚ what proportion are (same religion as respondent)? (Use same response categories as for previous question.)
II. Types of Religious Orientation
A. Doctrinal Orthodoxy
1. Do you believe there is a God‚ or not?
2. Do you think God is like a Heavenly Father who watches over you‚ or do you have some other belief?
3. Do you believe that God answers people's prayers‚ or not?
4. Do you believe in a life after death‚ or not? If so‚ do you also believe that in the next life some people will be punished and others rewarded by God‚ or not?
5. Do you believe that‚ when they are able‚ God expects people to worship Him in their churches and synagogues every week‚ or not?
6. Do you believe that Jesus was God's only Son sent in to the world by God to save sinful men‚ or do you believe that he was simply a very good man and teacher‚ or do you have some other belief ?
1. How often do you pray?
2. When you have decisions to make in your everyday life‚ do you ask yourself what God would want you to do often‚ sometimes‚ or never?
1. Associational‚ 2. Communal‚ 3. Doctrinal orthodoxy‚ 4. Devotionalism
Lenski‚ G. E. (1953). Social correlates of religious interest. American Sociological Review‚ 18‚ 533–44.
Lenski‚ G. (1961). The Religious Factor‚ A Sociological Study of Religion’s Impact on Politics‚ Economics‚ and Family Life‚ Connecticut: Greenwood Press
Lenski‚ G.‚ (1963). The religious factor. Garden City‚ New York: Doubleday (Anchor). (Originally published in 1961 by Doubleday.)
Robinson‚ John P.‚ Shaver‚ Phillip R. (1969). Measures of Political Attitudes. Institute for Social Research‚ University of Michigan/. Ann Arbor‚ Michigan