Religious Exclusivity Scale
Altemeyer and Hunsberger’s (1992)
1. Only one religion is true; the other religions are false.
2. All religions teach essentially the same Divine values.*
3. having faith is very important‚ but what particular faith you have is less important.*
4. Some religions are closer to the truth than others.
5. The Divine is revealed to us through different religions.*
6. Prayer can only be effective if you are praying to the right Divine Name.
7. The Divine answers prayers regardless of the Name by which the prayer calls on theDivine.*
8. Most religions have some truth to them‚ but there isn’t any one religion that can claimit is the only true faith.*
9. Many of the major religions have similar moral teachings; you can be a good person nomatter what religion you profess.*
10. A deeply-felt religious belief can have a very positive impact on your life‚ but there isno one religion that is the best of all.*
11. Only one religious faith leads to salvation; all the others fall short.
12. It is not enough to believe in a religion that is partly true‚ because there is one religionthat is absolutely true.
13. Although there is prayer and meditation in all religions‚ only if you pray according tothe one true religion will your prayer do good.
14. If you pray sincerely‚ your prayer can do good‚ no matter what religion you believein.*
15. Only one religion can lead your soul to final safety and peace.
16. There is only one religion that understands the source of all goodness and evil in thisworld; without believing in that religion‚ you cannot truly do good or escape evil.
17. If you say that all spiritual paths are equally true‚ you have said something false‚because there is only one true path.
18. If you are kind and loving‚ you will be close to salvation no matter what religion youbelieve or practice.*
* Reversed items
This instrument can be found on page 54 of When How You Believe Matters More than What You Believe: Religiosity and Religious. Available online at:http://www2.psych.ubc.ca/havinganlab/pdf/HansenNorenzayanReligiousTolerance.pdf