Spiritual Experience Index (SEI)
Genia‚ V. (1991).
1. I often feel closely related to a power greater than myself.
2. I often feel that I have little control over what happens to me.
3. My faith gives my life meaning and purpose.
4. My faith is a way of life.
5. Ideas from faiths different from my own may increase my understanding of spiritual truth.
6. One should not marry someone of a different faith.
7. My faith is an important part of my individual identity.
8. My faith helps me to confront tragedy and suffering.
9. My faith is often a deeply emotional experience.
10. It is difficult for me to form a clear‚ concrete image of God.
11. I believe that there is only one true faith.
12. It is important that I follow the religious beliefs of my parents.
13. Learning about different faiths is an important part of my spiritual development.
14. I often think about issues concerning my faith.
15. If my faith is strong enough‚ I will not experience doubt.
16. Obedience to religious doctrine is the most important aspect of my faith.
17. My relationship to God is experienced as unconditional love.
18. My spiritual beliefs change as I encounter new ideas and experiences.
19. I am sometimes uncertain about the best way to resolve a moral conflict.
20. I often fear God's punishment.
21. Although I sometimes fall short of my spiritual ideals‚ I am still basically a good and worthwhile person.
22. A primary purpose of prayer is to avoid personal tragedy.
23. I can experience spiritual doubts and still remain committed to my faith.
24. I believe that the world is basically good.
25. My faith enables me to experience forgiveness when I act against my moral conscience.
26. It is important that my spiritual beliefs conform with those of persons closest to me.
27. Persons of different faiths share a common spiritual bond.
28. I gain spiritual strength by trusting in a higher power.
29. There is usually only one right solution to any moral dilemma.
30. I make a conscious effort to live in accordance with my spiritual values.
31. I feel a strong spiritual bond with all of humankind.
32. My faith is a private experience which I rarely‚ if ever‚ share with others.
33. Sharing my faith with others is important for my spiritual growth.
34. I never challenge the teachings of my faith.
35. I believe that the world is basically evil.
36. Religious scriptures are best interpreted as symbolic attempts to convey ultimate truths.
37. My faith guides my whole approach to life.
38. Improving the human community is an important spiritual goal.
This instrument can be found on pages 5-6 of Self Report Measures for Love and Compassion Research: Spiritual Experience & Religiosity‚ Fetzer Institute‚ available online http://www.fetzer.org/sites/default/files/images/resources/attachment/2012-10-19/MultidimensionalBooklet.pdf
Point values are assigned as follows:
1= Strongly Disagree‚ 2= Disagree‚ 3= Somewhat Disagree‚ 4= Somewhat Agree‚ 5= Agree‚ 6= Strongly Agree
Scoring is kept continuous. Items 2‚ 6‚ 11‚ 12‚ 15‚ 16‚ 20‚ 22‚ 26‚ 29‚ 32‚ 34‚ and 35 are reverse sc.
Genia‚ V. (1991). The spiritual experience index: A measure of spiritual maturity. Journal of Religion and Health‚ 30‚ 337-347.