Social Dominance Orientation (SDO)
Pratto et al.‚ 1994
1. Some groups of people are simply inferior to other groups.
2. In getting what you want‚ it is sometimes necessary to use force against other groups.
3. It's OK if some groups have more of a chance in life than others.
4. To get ahead in life‚ it is sometimes necessary to step on other groups.
5. If certain groups stayed in their place‚ we would have fewer problems.
6. It's probably a good thing that certain groups are at the top and other groups are at the bottom.
7. Inferior groups should stay in their place.
8. Sometimes other groups must be kept in their place.
9. It would be good if groups could be equal.
10. Group equality should be our ideal.
11. All groups should be given an equal chance in life.
12. We should do what we can to equalize conditions for different groups.
13. Increased social equality.
14. We would have fewer problems if we treated people more equally.
15. We should strive to make incomes as equal as possible.
16. No one group should dominate in society
very positive (7)‚ positive (6)‚ slightly positive (5)‚ neither positive nor negative (4)‚ slightly negative (3)‚ negative (2)‚ and very negative (1).
Items 9-16 reverse scored.
Pratto‚ F.‚ Sidanius‚ J.‚ Stallworth‚ L. M.‚ & Malle‚ B. F. (1994). Social dominance orientation: A personality variable predicting social and political attitudes. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology‚ 67(4)‚ 741-763.
Ho‚ A. K.‚ Sidanius‚ J.‚ Pratto‚ F.‚ Levin‚ S.‚ Thomsen‚ L.‚ Kteily‚ N.‚ & Sheehy-Skeffington‚ J. (2012). Social dominance orientation: Revisiting the structure and function of a variable predicting social and political attitudes. Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin‚ 38(5)‚ 583-606.