Table of Contents
This measure (Job Satisfaction Index) was developed by Schriesheim and Tsui (1980). It uses six items to form an index that describes overall job satisfaction. The scale includes single questions to assess the degree of satisfaction with the work itself, supervision, co-workers, pay, promotion opportunities, and the job in general.
Coefficient alpha ranged from .73 to .78 (Cohen, 1997; Tsui et al., 1992).
Overall job satisfaction correlated positively with age, tenure, psychological commitment to the organization, personal coping ability, organizational support for non-work activities, and intention to stay. It correlated nega tively with frequency of absences,job level, conflict between work and non work roles, and years in an occupation (Cohen, 1997; Tsui et al., 1992).
Tsui, A. S., Egan, T. D., & O’Reilly, C. A., III. (1992). Being different: Rela tional demography and organizational attachment. Administrative Science Quarterly, 37(4), 549-580. Items were taken from the appendix, p. 588. Copyright © 1992 by Administrative Science Quarterly. Reprinted with permission.
Responses are obtained on a 5-point Likert-type scale where 1 = strongly disagree and 5 = strongly agree.
- How satisfied are you with the nature of the work you perform?
- How satisfied are you with the person who supervises you-your organizational superior?
- How satisfied are you with your relations with others in the organization with whom you work-your co-workers or peers?
- How satisfied are you with the pay you receive for your job?
- How satisfied are you with the opportunities which exist in this organization for advancement or promotion?
- Considering everything, how satisfied are you with your current job situation?
This content is licensed under a CC-BY license. The CC-BY licenses grant rights of use the scales in your studies (the measurement instrument and its documentation), but do not replace copyright. This remains with the copyright holder, and you have to cite us as the source.
Mohammed Looti, PSYCHOLOGICAL SCALES (2023) Job Satisfaction Index. Retrieved from https://scales.arabpsychology.com/s/job-satisfaction-index/. DOI: 10.13140/RG.2.2.31575.96163