Umaña-Taylor‚ A. J. & Fine‚ M. A. (2004)
1. My family teaches me about my ethnic/cultural background.
2. My family encourages me to respect the cultural values and beliefs of our ethnic/cultural background.
3. My family participates in activities that are specific to my ethnic group.
4. Our home is decorated with things that reflect my ethnic/cultural background.
5. The people who my family hangs out with the most are people who share the same ethnic background as my family.
6. My family teaches me about the values and beliefs of our ethnic/cultural background.
7. My family talks about how important it is to know about my ethnic/cultural background.
8. My family celebrates holidays that are specific to my ethnic/cultural background.
9. My family teaches me about the history of my ethnic/cultural background.
10. My family listens to music sung or played by artists from my ethnic/cultural background.
11. My family attends things such as concerts‚ plays‚ festivals‚ or other events that represent my ethnic/cultural background.
12. My family feels a strong attachment to our ethnic/cultural background.
Point values are assigned as follows:
Five-point scale with only endpoints labeled.
1 = Not at all
5 = Very much
Covert FES: Items 3‚ 4‚ 5‚ 8‚ 10‚ 11‚ 12
Overt FES: Items 1‚ 2‚ 6‚ 7‚ 9
Umaña-Taylor‚ A. J. & Fine‚ M. A. (2004). Examining ethnic identity among Mexican-origin adolescents living in the United States. Hispanic Journal of Behavioral Sciences‚ 26‚ 36-59.
Umaña-Taylor‚ A. J.‚ Yazedjian‚ A. & Bámaca-Gómez‚ M. Y. (2004). Developing the Ethnic Identity Scale using Eriksonian and social identity perspectives. Identity: An International Journal of Theory and Research‚ 4‚ 9-38.