Spann-Fischer Codependency Scale
Fischer‚ J. L.‚ Spann L.‚ & Crawford‚ D. (1991). Measuring codependency. Alcoholism Treatment Quarterly‚ 8‚ 87-100.
Read the following statements and place the number in the spaces provided that best describes you according to the following list: 1 Strongly Disagree; 2 Moderately Disagree; 3 Slightly Disagree; 4 Slightly Agree; 5 Moderately Agree; 6 Strongly Agree.
- It is hard for me to make decisions.
- It is hard for me to say “no.”
- It is hard for me to accept compliments graciously.
- Sometimes I almost feel bored or empty if I don’t have problems to focus on.
- 1 usually do notdo things for other people that they are capable of doing for themselves.
- When I do something nice for myself I usually feel guilty.
- 1 do notworry very much.
- I tell myself that things will get better when the people in my life change what they are doing.
- I seem to have relationships where I am always there for them but they are rarely there for me.
- Sometimes I get focused on one person to the extent of neglecting other relationships and responsibilities.
- I seem to get into relationships that are painful for me.
- I don’t usually let others see the “real” me.
- When someone upsets me I will hold it in for a long time‚ but once in a while I explode.
- I will usually go to any lengths to avoid open conflict.
- I often have a sense of dread or impending doom.
- I often put the needs of others ahead of my own.
To obtain a scale score‚ reverse score items 5 and 7 and sum all the items.
Factor Loadings 15 item version only