1. My mother (father) seldom says nice things about me.
2. I am an important person in my mother (father)'s eyes.
3. My mother (father) often acts as if she doesn't care about me.
4. My mother (father) enjoys spending time with me.
5. My mother (father) expresses her warmth and affection for me.
6. My mother (father) is easy for me to talk to.
7. I am tense and uneasy when my mother (father) and I are together.
8. I feel that my mother (father) finds fault with me more often than I deserve.
9. My mother (father) takes an active interest in my affairs.
10.I feel very close to my mother (father).
11.My mother (father) does not understand me.
12.My mother (father) believes in me.
13.I don't feel that my mother (father) enjoys being with me.
14.My mother (father) doesn't really know what kind of person I am.
15.My mother (father) is a warm and caring individual.
16.My mother (father) does not feel that I am important interesting.
17.My mother (father) is very interested in those things that concern me.
18.My mother (father) is often critical if me and nothing I do ever seems to please her.
19.My mother (father) seldom shows me any affection.
20.My mother (father) consoles me and helps me when I am unhappy or in trouble.
21.My mother (father) is generally cold and removed when I am with her.
22.I receive a lot of affirmation from my mother (father).
23.My mother (father) is very understanding and sympathetic.
24.My mother (father) does not really care much what happens to me.
This instrument can be found on page 100-102 of Assessing Outcomes in Child and Youth Programs: A Practical Handbook‚ available online at: http://fyi.uwex.edu/topic/youth/
1=Strongly Disagree‚ 2= Disagree‚ 3= Neither Agree nor Disagree‚ 4= Agree‚ 5= Strongly Agree
To score the scale‚ reverse code 1‚3‚7‚8‚11‚13‚14‚16‚18‚19‚21‚24. Sum all item scores together for a total score.
Buri‚ John R. (1989). Self-Esteem and Appraisals of Parental Behavior. Journal of Adolescent Research‚ 4‚ 33-49.
Buri‚ John R. (1991). Stability of Parental Nurturance as a Salient Predictor of Self-Esteem. Paper presented at the Annual Convention of the American Psychological Association (99th‚ SanFrancisco‚ CA‚ August 16-20.
Buri‚ J.‚ Murphy‚ P.‚ Richtsmeier‚ L.‚ & Komar‚ K. (1992). Stability of parental nurturance as a salient predictor of self-esteem. Psychological Reports‚ 71‚ 535-594.
Buri‚ Misukanis‚ & Mueller. (1989). Parental Nurturance Scale [PNS]. In Fischer‚ Joel.‚ Corcoran‚ Kevin J. (2007 ). Measures for Clinical Practice and research: A sourcebook. (4th ed.). NY. Oxford University Pr. Vol. 1‚ Page (s): 396-397.