Richins and Dawson‚ 1992
1. I admire people who own expensive homes‚ cars‚ and clothes.
2. Some of the most important achievements in life include acquiring material possessions.
3. I don’t place much emphasis on the amount of material objects people own as a sign of success.*
4. The things I own say a lot about how well I’m doing in life.
5. I like to own things that impress people.
6. I don’t pay much attention to the material objects other people own.*
7. I usually buy things I need.*
8. I try to keep my life simple‚ as far as possessions are concerned.*
9. The things I own aren’t all that important to me.*
10.I enjoy spending money on things that aren’t practical.
11.Buying things gives me a lot of pleasure.
12.I like a lot of luxury in life.
13.I put less emphasis on material things than most people I know.*
14.I have all the things I really need to enjoy life.*
15.My life would be better if I owned certain things I don’t have.
16.I wouldn’t be any happier if I owned nicer things.* [My life would be better if I owned nicer things.*]
17.I’d be happier if I could afford to buy more things.
18.It sometimes bothers me quite a bit that I can’t afford to buy all the things that I like.
* reverse scored items
Success (alpha .71 to .75)‚ Centrality (alpha .74 to .78)‚ Happiness (alpha .73 to .83)
Strongly Agree‚ Agree‚ Neutral‚ Disagree‚ Strongly Disagree
Success (items 1-6)‚ Centrality (items 7-13)‚ Happiness (items 14-18)
Richins‚ M. L.‚ & Dawson‚ S. (1992). Consumer values orientation for materialism and its measurement: Scale development and validation. Journal of Consumer Research‚ 19‚ 303-316.
Richins‚ M. L. (2004). The material values scale: Measurement properties and development of a short form. Journal of Consumer Research‚ 31‚ 209-219.
Richins‚ Marsha L.‚ and Dawson‚ Scott. (2004). A Consumer Values Orientation for Materialism and Its Measurement: Scale Development and Validation. Journal of Consumer Research‚ 19(3)‚ 303-316
Yang‚ Anthony. (2015). Quantifying anomia: development of a scale. California State University. master of Arts thesis.