1. Depending upon the people involved‚ I react to the same situation in different ways.
2. I would rather be myself than be well thought of. (R)*
3. Many times I feel like just flipping a coin in order to decide what I should do.
4. I change my opinion (or the way that I do things) in order to please someone else.*
5. In order to get along and be liked‚ I tend to be what people expect me to be.*
6. I find it difficult to talk about my ideas if they are contrary to group opinion.*
7. One should avoid doing things in public which appear to be wrong to others‚ even though one knows that he is right.
8. Sometimes I feel that I don’t have enough control over the direction that my life is taking.
9. It is better to be humble than assertive when dealing with people.
10.I am willing to argue only if I know that my friends will back me up.*
11.If I hear that someone expresses a poor opinion of me‚ I do my best the next time that I see this person to make a good impression.
12.I seldom feel the need to make excuses or apologize for my behavior. (R)*
13.It is not important to me that I behave ‘properly’ in social situations. (R)*
14.The best way to handle people is to agree with them and tell them what they want to hear.
15.It is hard for me to go on with my work if I am not encouraged to do so.
16.If there is any criticism or anyone says anything about me‚ I can take it. (R)*
17.It is wise to flatter important people.
18.I am careful at parties and social gatherings for fear that I will do or say things that others won’t like.*
19.I usually do not change my position when people disagree with me. (R)*
20.How many friends you have depends on how nice a person you are.
(R) Reverse scored item.
*Items in short form.