1. I have a positive outlook toward life
2. I have short and/or long-range goals
3. I feel alone
4. I can see possibilities in the midst of difficulties
5. I have faith that gives me comfort
6. I feel scared about my future
7. I can recall happy/joyful times
8. I have deep inner strength
9. I am able to give and receive caring/love
10.I have a sense of direction
11.I believe that each day has potential
12.I feel my life has value and worth
Note: 1999 items 2 and 4 reworded.
Strongly Disagree‚ Disagree‚ Agree‚ Strongly Agree
Herth‚ K. (1992). Abbreviated instrument to measure hope: Development and psychometric evaluation. Journal of Advanced Nursing‚ 17(10)‚ 1251–1259.
Abdi‚ N.‚ Asadi‐Lari‚ M .‚ (2011). Standardization of Three Hope Scales‚ as Possible Measures at the End of Life‚ in Iranian Population. Iranian Journal of Cancer Prevention‚ 4(2)‚ 71-77.
Kaye Herth. (1991‚1992). Herth Hope Index. In: Simmons C. A.‚ Lehmann P. (eds). Tools for strengths-based assessment and evaluation‚ New York‚ NY: Springer‚ pp. 197-199. (2013). Google Scholar