Ægisdóttir & Gerstein (2009)
2. I would be willing to confide my intimate concerns to a psychologist.
3. Seeing a psychologist is helpful when you are going through a difficult time in your life.
4. At some future time‚ I might want to see a psychologist.
5. I would feel uneasy going to a psychologist because of what some people might think.
6. If I believed I was having a serious problem‚ my first inclination would be to see a psychologist.
7. Because of their training‚ psychologists can help you find solutions to your problems.
8. Going to a psychologist means that I am a weak person.
9. Psychologists are good to talk to because they do not blame you for the mistakes you have made.
10. having received help from a psychologist stigmatizes a person’s life.
11. There are certain problems that should not be discussed with a stranger such as a psychologist.
12. I would see a psychologist if I were worried or upset for a long period of time.
13. Psychologists make people feel that they cannot deal with their problems.
14. It is good to talk to someone like a psychologist because everything you say is confidential.
15. Talking about problems with a psychologist strikes me as a poor way to get rid of emotional conflicts.
16. Psychologists provide valuable advice because of their knowledge about human behavior.
17. It is difficult to talk about personal issues with highly educated people such as psychologists.
18. If I thought I needed psychological help‚ I would get this help no matter who knew I was receiving assistance.
Strongly Disagree (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) Strongly Agree
Subscales are computed as follows:
Intent‚ items 1‚ 2 3‚ 4‚ 6‚ 12
Stigma Tolerance‚ items 5‚ 8‚ 10‚ 11‚ 13‚ 15‚ 17‚ 18
Expertness‚ items 7‚ 9‚ 14‚ 16
Reverse scoring: items 5‚ 8‚ 10‚ 11‚ 13‚ 15‚ 17
Ægisdóttir. Stefanía‚ Gerstein. Lawrence H‚. (2009). Beliefs about psychological services (BAPS): Development and psychometric properties. Counselling Psychology Quarterly‚ 22‚ Issue 2: 197-219.
Adams. David F‚ (2010). The Relationship between Gender Role Conflict and Attitudes towards Help-Seeking: What is the Role of Maladaptive Coping? Ball State University Muncie‚ INDIANA. M.A. thesis