1. It would probably be better if most old people lived in residential units with people of their own age.
2. Most old people are capable of new adjustments when the situation demands it.
3. Most old people tend to let their homes become shabby and unattractive.
4. Old people have too much power in business and politics.
5. Most old people bore others by their insistence on talking about the “good old days.”
6. When you think a about it‚ the people have the same faults as anybody else.
7. There are a few exceptions‚ but in general most old people are pretty much alike.
8. Most old people are cheerful‚ agreeable‚ and good humored.
10.Most old people are really no different from anybody else; they’re as easy to understand as younger people.
11.Most old people would prefer to quit work as soon as pensions or their children can support them.
12.It is foolish to claim that wisdom comes with old age.
13.Most old people are very relaxing to be with.
14.Most old people spend too much time prying into the affairs of others and giving unsought advice.
15.You can count on finding a nice residential neighborhood when there is a sizeable number of old people living in it.
16. Most old people should be more concerned with their personal appearance; they’re too untidy.
17.One seldom hears old people complaining about the behavior of the younger generation. 18.There is something different about most old people; it’s hard to figure out what makes them tick. 19.Most old people would prefer to continue working just as long as they possibly can rather than be dependent on anybody.
20.People grown wiser with the coming of old age.
21.Most old people make one feel ill at ease.
22.Most old people respect others' privacy and give advice only when asked.
23.In order to maintain a nice residential neighborhood‚ it would be best if too many old people did not live in it.
24.Most old people seem quite clean and neat in their personal appearance.
25.Most old people are constantly complaining about the behavior of the younger generation.
26.It would probably be better if most people lived in residential units with younger people.
27.Most old people get set in their ways and are unable to change.
28.Most old people can generally be counted on to maintain a clean‚ attractive home.
29.Old people have too much power in business and politics.
30.One of the most interesting and entertaining qualities of most old people is their accounts of their past experiences.
31.If old people expect to be liked‚ their first step is to try to get rid of their irritating faults.
32.It is evident that most old people are very different from one another.
33.Most old people are irritable‚ grouchy‚ and unpleasant.
Cronbach’s alpha of 0.66 to 0.83 for individual subscales
Strongly agree‚ Agree‚ Agree slightly‚ Disagree slightly‚ Disagree‚ Strongly disagree
Kogan‚ N. (1961). Attitudes toward old people: The development of a scale and an examination of correlates. Journal of Abnormal and Social Psychology‚ 62(1)‚ 44-54.
Kogan‚ N.‚ Stephens‚ J. W.‚ & Shelton‚ F. C. (1961). Age differences: A developmental study of discriminability and affective response. Journal of Abnormal and Social Psychology‚ 62‚ 221-230.
Cash‚ L. C. (1983). Factors Influencing CHILDREN'S Attitudes Toward Older Persons. Texas Tech University‚ Doctoral dissertation.
: Kogan’s Attitudes Toward Old People Scale (Kogan OP Scale). MedEdPORTAL Publications; 2016. Available from: https://www.mededportal.org/publication/10325