The Responsible Assertion Scale (RAS)
Williams. ED R.‚ Akridge. R‚ 1996
1. I don't "beat around the bush" when asking for something. I am direct and get right to the point.
2. I look for ways to be helpful to the people I work with.
3. I feel good about my ability to cope with the unexpected.
4. I respect the rights of others because I expect others to respect my rights.
5. I have a good (positive) opinion of myself.
6. I work well with others and get along with others in groups.
7. I make up my own mind easily without asking others what they think I should do.
8. Complimenting the people I'm around comes easily and naturally for me.
9. I can be very focused or very relaxed whenever I want to be.
10. I make plans‚ set goals‚ and try to prepare myself for the future.
11. I am aware of my feelings and express them in constructive ways.
12. When someone is explaining something‚ I try to pay dose attention.
13. I expect to get what I pay for in the market place‚ and I am not easily taken advantage of.
14. I get started on my regular job or work assignment without needing to be told or reminded.
15. I feel relaxed and comfortable in social situations.
16. During meetings or group discussions‚ I speak up and add my feelings and thoughts on the subject.
17. I will take reasonable risks to achieve my goals.
18. On this statement put down the number three.
19. I say what I think and feel about things. I express my opinion freely.
20. I am able to say "no" to unreasonable requests.
21. I feel comfortable with people who are quite different from me in race‚ background‚ or lifestyle.
This instrument can be found on page 21 of “The Responsible Assertion Scale: Development and Evaluation of Psychometric Qualities”. Available online at: http://library.ncrtm.org/pdf/J050.0291.01E.pdf
1 = Almost Never‚ 2=Not Often‚ 3= Sometimes‚ 4=Fairly Often‚ 5=Very Often
Assertion Factor: 1‚ 3‚ 5‚ 7‚ 9‚ 11‚ 13‚ 15‚ 16‚ 17‚ 18‚ 19‚ 20‚ and 21
Respect Factor: 2‚ 4‚ 6‚ 8‚ 10‚ 12‚ and 14
Throw out Question #18‚
Williams. ED R.‚ Akridge. R‚ 1996. The Responsible Assertion Scale: Development and Evaluation of Psychometric Qualities. Vocational Evaluation and Work Adjustment Bulletin 29: 19-23