1. I am good at resisting temptation.
2. I have a hard time breaking bad habits. *
3. I am lazy. *
4. I say inappropriate things. *
5. I never allow myself to lose control.
6. I do certain things that are bad for me‚ if they are fun. *
7. People can count on me to keep on schedule.
8. Getting up in the morning is hard for me. *
9. I have trouble saying no. *
10.I change my mind fairly often. *
11.I blurt out whatever is on my mind. *
12.People would describe me as impulsive. *
13.I refuse things that are bad for me.
14.I spend too much money. *
15.I keep everything neat.
16.I am self-indulgent at times. *
17.I wish I had more self-discipline. *
18.I am reliable.
19.I get carried away by my feelings. *
20.I do many things on the spur of the moment.*
21.I don’t keep secrets very well. *
22.People would say that I have iron self- discipline.
23.I have worked or studied all night at the last minute. *
24.I’m not easily discouraged.
25.I’d be better off if I stopped to think before acting. *
26.I engage in healthy practices.
27.I eat healthy foods.
28.Pleasure and fun sometimes keep me from getting work done. *
29.I have trouble concentrating. *
30.I am able to work effectively toward long-term goals.
31.Sometimes I can’t stop myself from doing something‚ even if I know it is wrong.*
32.I often act without thinking through all the alternatives. *
33.I lose my temper too easily. *
34.I often interrupt people. *
35.I sometimes drink or use drugs to excess. *
36.I am always on time.
10 items version
1. I have a hard time breaking bad habits.*
2. I get distracted easily.*
3. I say inappropriate things.*
4. I refuse things that are bad for me‚ even if they are fun.
5. I’m good at resisting temptation.
6. People would say that I have very strong self-discipline.
7. Pleasure and fun sometimes keep me from getting work done.*
8. I do things that feel good in the moment but regret later on. *
9. Sometimes I can’t stop myself from doing something‚ even if I know it is wrong. *
10.I often act without thinking through all the alternatives. *
* Reversed Items
1 not at all like me to 5 very much like me
Items included in the Brief Self Control measure: 13 items (1-4‚ 6‚ 13‚ 17‚ 22‚ 28-32)
Baumeister‚ Roy F. (2002). Yielding to Temptation: Self-Control Failure‚ Impulsive Purchasing‚ and Consumer Behavior. Journal of Consumer Research‚ 28(4)‚ 670-676.
Tangney‚ June P.‚ Baumeister‚ Roy F.‚ & Boone‚ Angie Luzio. (2004). High Self-Control Predicts Good Adjustment‚ Less Pathology‚ Better Grades‚ and Interpersonal Success. Journal of Personality‚ 72(2)‚ 271- 324.
Maloney Patrick W.‚ Grawitch‚ Matthew J.‚ Barber‚Larissa K. (2012). The multi-factor structure of the Brief Self-Control Scale: Discriminant validity of restraint and impulsivity. Journal of Personality‚ 46(1)‚ 111-115.