Experiences in Close Relationships Scale
Brennan‚ Clark & Shaver (1998)
- I prefer not to show a partner how I feel deep down.
- I worry about being abandoned.
- I am very comfortable being close to romantic partners. (R)
- I worry a lot about my relationships.
- Just when my partner starts to get close to me I find myself pulling away.
- I worry that romantic partners wont care about me as much as I care about them.
- I get uncomfortable when a romantic partner wants to be very close.
- I worry a fair amount about losing my partner.
- I don’t feel comfortable opening up to romantic partners.
- I often wish that my partner’s feelings for me were as strong as my feelings for him/her.
- I want to get close to my partner‚ but I keep pulling back.
- I often want to merge completely with romantic partners‚ and this sometimes scares them away.
- I am nervous when partners get too close to me.
- I worry about being alone.
- I feel comfortable sharing my private thoughts and feelings with my partner. (R)
- My desire to be very close sometimes scares people away.
- I try to avoid getting too close to my partner.
- I need a lot of reassurance that I am loved by my partner.
- I find it relatively easy to get close to my partner. (R)
- Sometimes I feel that I force my partners to show more feeling‚ more commitment.
- I find it difficult to allow myself to depend on romantic partners.
- I do not often worry about being abandoned. (R)
- I prefer not to be too close to romantic partners.
- If I can’t get my partner to show interest in me‚ I get upset or angry.
- I tell my partner just about everything. (R)
- I find that my partner(s) don’t want to get as close as I would like.
- I usually discuss my problems and concerns with my partner. (R)
- When I’m not involved in a relationship‚ I feel somewhat anxious and insecure.
- I feel comfortable depending on romantic partners. (R)
- I get frustrated when my partner is not around as much as I would like.
- I don’t mind asking romantic partners for comfort‚ advice‚ or help. (R)
- I get frustrated if romantic partners are not available when I need them.
- It helps to turn to my romantic partner in times of need. (R)
- When romantic partners disapprove of me‚ I feel really bad about myself.
- I turn to my partner for many things‚ including comfort and reassurance. (R)
- I resent it when my partner spends time away from me.
This instrument can be found online at: http://personality-testing.info/tests/ECR.php
1=Strongly Disagree‚ 2=Disagree‚ 3=Slightly Disagree‚ 4=Neutral‚ 5=Slightly Agree‚ 6=Agree‚ 7=Strongly Agree
Brennan‚ K.; Clark‚ C.; Shaver‚ P. (1998). Self-report measures of adult romantic attachment. In J. Simpson and W. Rholes‚ Attachment Theory and Close Relationships. New York: Guilford Press.