1. When I want to feel more positive emotion (such as joy or amusement)‚ I change what I’m thinking about.
2. I keep my emotions to myself.
3. When I want to feel less negative emotion (such as sadness or anger)‚ I change what I’m thinking about.
4. When I am feeling positive emotions‚ I am careful not to express them.
5. When I’m faced with a stressful situation‚ I make myself think about it in a way that helps me stay calm.
6. I control my emotions by not expressing them.
7. When I want to feel more positive emotion‚ I change the way I’m thinking about the situation.
8. I control my emotions by changing the way I think about the situation I’m in.
9. When I am feeling negative emotions‚ I make sure not to express them.
10.When I want to feel less negative emotion‚ I change the way I’m thinking about the situation.
A 10-item scale designed to measure respondents’ tendency to regulate their emotions in two ways: (1) Cognitive Reappraisal and (2) Expressive Suppression. Respondentsanswer each item on a 7-point Likert-type scale ranging from 1 (strongly disagree) to 7(strongly agree).
Seven point Likert-type scale; 1= Strongly disagree‚ 4= neutral‚ 7= strongly agree
Cognitive reappraisal (of emotions) Items 1‚ 3‚ 5‚ 7‚ 8‚ 10
Expressive suppression (of emotions) Items 2‚ 4‚ 6‚ 9
Gross J. J. (1999). Emotion regulation: past‚ present‚ future. Cogn. Emot. 13‚ 551–573.
Gross J. J. (2002). Emotion regulation: affective‚ cognitive‚ and social consequences. Psychophysiology 39‚ 281–291.
Gross‚ J.J.‚ & John‚ O.P. (2003). Individual differences in two emotion regulation processes: Implications for affect‚ relationships‚ and well-being. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology‚ 85‚ 348-362.
John O. P.‚ Gross J. J. (2004). Healthy and unhealthy emotion regulation: personality processes‚ individual differences‚ and lifespan development. J. Personal. 72‚ 1301–1334.
Spaapen‚ D.L.‚ Waters‚ F.‚ Brummer‚ L.‚ Stopa‚ L.‚ Bucks‚ R.S. (2014). The emotion regulation questionnaire: validation of the ERQ-9 in two community samples. Psychol Assess‚ 26(1):46-54. doi: 10.1037/a0034474. Epub 2013 Sep 23.