01. You have a friendly talk with your mom. How about your dad?
02. Your parents tell you that you are doing a good job.
03. Your parents threaten to punish you and then do not do it.
04. Your mom helps with some of your special activities (such as sports‚ boy/girls scouts‚ church youth groups). How about your dad?
05. Your parents reward or give something extra to you for behaving well.
06. You fail to leave a note or let your parents know where you are going.
07. You play games or do other fun things with your mom. How about your dad?
08. You talk your parents out of punishing you after you have done something wrong.
09. Your mom asks you about your day in school. How about your dad?
10. You stay out in the evening past the time you are supposed to be home.
11. Your mom helps you with your homework. How about your dad?
12. Your parents give up trying to get you to obey them because it’s too much trouble.
13. Your parents compliment you when you have done something well.
14. Your mom asks you what your plans are for the coming day. How about your dad?
15. Your mom drives you to a special activity. How about your dad?
16. Your parents praise you for behaving well.
17. Your parents do not know the friends you are with.
18. Your parents hug or kiss you when you have done something well.
19. You go out without a set time to be home.
20. Your mom talks to you about your friends. How about your dad?
21. You go out after dark without an adult with you.
22. Your parents let you out of a punishment early (like lift restrictions earlier than they originally said).
23. You help plan family activities.
24. Your parents get so busy that they forget where you are and what you are doing.
25. Your parents do not punish you when you have done something wrong.
26. Your mom goes to a meeting at school‚ like a PTA meeting or parent/teacher conference. How about your dad?
27. Your parents tell you that they like it when you help around the house.
28. You stay out later than you are supposed to and your parents don’t know it.
29. Your parents leave the house and don’t tell you where they are going.
30. You come home from school more than an hour past the time your parents expect you to be home.
31. The punishment your parents give depends on their mood.
32. You are at home without an adult being with you.
33. Your parents spank you with their hand when you have done something wrong.
34. Your parents ignore you when you are misbehaving.
35. Your parents slap you when you have done something wrong.
36. Your parents take away a privilege or money from you as a punishment.
37. Your parents send you to your room as a punishment.
38. Your parents hit you with a belt‚ switch‚ or other object when you have done something wrong.
39. Your parents yell or scream at you when you have done something wrong.
40. Your parents calmly explain to you why your behavior was wrong when you misbehave.
41. Your parents use time out (make you sit or stand in a corner) as a punishment.
42. Your parents give you extra chores as a punishment.
Positive Parenting 0.80
Poor Monitoring/Supervision 0.67
Inconsistent Discipline 0.67
Corporal Punishment 0.46
Point values are assigned as follows:
1 = Never
2 = Almost Never
3 = Sometimes
4 = Often
5 = Always
Scale scores were derived by taking the average frequencies of behaviors in a 3-day interval on 4 interviews.
Shelton‚ K. K.‚ Frick‚ P. J.‚ & Wootton‚ J. (1996). Assessment of parenting practices in families of elementary school-age children. Journal of Clinical Child Psychology‚ 25(3)‚ 317-329.
Frick‚ P.J.‚ Christian‚ R.E.‚ & Wootton‚ J.M. (1999). Age trends in the association between parenting practices and conduct problems. Behavior Modification‚ 23(1)‚ 106-128.