Avoidance of Discipline
1. Do you hesitate to enforce the rules with your child because you fear he might then harm someone in your household?
2. Do you feel that you must be careful not to upset your child?
3. Do you feel that other family members must be careful not to upset your child?
4. Do you feel that it is more trouble than it is worth to ask your child to help you?
5. Do you think that your child will take it out on other children if you try to make him obey you?
6. Do you leave your child alone because of his moodiness?
7. Do you think that your child will try to get back at you if you try to make him obey you?
8. If you punish your child‚ does his behavior get worse?
9. When you are by yourself‚ do you have much difficulty controlling your child?
10. When other adults are present‚ do you have much difficulty controlling your child?
11. If your child is punished‚ does the punishment work?
12. Is the discipline you use effective for your child?
- Avoidance of Discipline
- Discipline Effectiveness
Point values are assigned as follows:
Items 11 and 12:
Half of the time=2
Avoidance of Discipline: Reverse code items 1-7 and then compute a mean score.
Discipline Effectiveness: Reverse code items 8-10 and then compute a mean score of items 8-12.
Tolan PH‚ Gorman-Smith D‚ Henry DB. Chicago Youth Development Study Parenting Practices Measure: Instructions for Scaling Technical Report. Families and Communities Research Group‚
Institute for Juvenile Research‚ Department of Psychiatry‚ The University of Illinois at Chicago‚ 2000.