Community Resources in Neighborhood—Chicago Youth Development Study
Tolan‚ Gorman-Smith & Henry‚ 2001
1. I have relatives living in my neighborhood.
2. There is a grocery store in or near my neighborhood.
3. There is a church or synagogue that I could attend in my neighborhood.
4. There is a clinic or other medical services near my neighborhood.
5. There are entertainment places in my neighborhood.
6. There are parks that we can use in or near my neighborhood.
7. Public transportation is convenient for me to use.
8. There are neighborhood or block organizations that deal with neighborhood issues or problems.
9. There is a school in this neighborhood.
10. We regularly do our shopping in my neighborhood.
11. I attend religious services in my neighborhood.
12. When I need medical services‚ I use those in the neighborhood.
13. I use the recreational facilities available in my neighborhood. ?
Point values are assigned as follows:
True=1‚ False =2
Resources Available to Adult Caregiver: Items 9 and 11 are not included in calculating the score. Items 1-8‚ 10‚ 12 and 13 should be reverse coded. Compute a mean score from these items.
Resources Available to Youths: Items 9 and 11 are not included in calculating the score. Items 3‚ 4‚ 5‚ 6‚ 7‚ 8‚ 10‚ 12 and 13 should be reverse coded. Compute a mean score from these items.
Tolan PH‚ Gorman-Smith D‚ Henry DB. Chicago Youth Development Study Community and Neighborhood Measure: construction and reliabilitytechnical report. Families and Communities Research Group‚ Department of Psychiatry‚ The University of Illinois at Chicago‚ 2001.