Horizontal individualism items:
1. I'd rather depend on myself than others.
2. I rely on myself most of the time; I rarely rely on others.
3. I often do "my own thing."
4. My personal identity‚ independent of others‚ is very important to me.
Vertical individualism items:
1. It is important that I do my job better than others.
2. Winning is everything.
3. Competition is the law of nature.
4. When another person does better than I do‚ I get tense and aroused.
Horizontal collectivism items:
1. If a coworker gets a prize‚ I would feel proud.
2. The well-being of my coworkers is important to me.
3. To me‚ pleasure is spending time with others.
4. I feel good when I cooperate with others.
Vertical collectivism items:
1. Parents and children must stay together as much as possible.
2. It is my duty to take care of my family‚ even when 1 have to sacrifice what I want.
3. Family members should stick together‚ no matter what sacrifices are required.
4. It is important to me that I respect the decisions made by my groups.
Vertical Collectivism – seeing the self as a part of a collective and being willing to accept hierarchy and inequality within that collective
Vertical Individualism – seeing the self as fully autonomous‚ but recognizing that inequality will exist among individuals and that accepting this inequality.
Horizontal Collectivism –seeing the self as part of a collective but perceiving all the members of that collective as equal.
Horizontal Individualism –seeing the self as fully autonomous‚ and believing that equality between individuals is the ideal.
HI (Alpha .81)‚ VI (Alpha .82)‚ HC (Alpha 0.80)‚ VC (Alpha 0.73)
1= never or definitely no and 9 = always or definitely yes.