Social‚ Attitudinal‚ Familial‚ and Environmental Acculturative Stress Scale (SAFE)
The adult version of Mena and colleagues
Mena et al.‚ 1987
1. I feel bad when others make jokes about or put down Latinos.
2. I have more problems to overcome than most people do.
3. It bothers me that my family does not understand my new American values.
4. People in my family who I am close to have plans for when I grow up that Idon't like.
5. It is hard to tell my friends how I really feel.
6. It bothers me to think that so many people use drugs.
7. It bothers me that some of my family does not live near me.
8. I sometimes feel that being Latino (a) makes it hard to get a good job.
9. I don't have any close friends.
10.Many people have stereotypes about Latinos and treat me as if those things are true.
11.I don't feel at home in the United States.
12.People think I am shy when I really just have trouble speaking English.
13.I often feel that people try to stop me from improving myself.
14.It bothers me when people pressure me to be like everyone else.
15.I often feel ignored by people who are supposed to help me.
16.Because I am Latino (a) I do not get enough credit for the work I do.
17.It bothers me that I have an accent.
18.It's hard to be away from the country that my family is from.
19.I often think about my cultural background.
20.Because I'm Latino (a)‚ I feel that others (neighbors‚ students) don't include me intheir activities.
21.Being with my family in a public place makes me feel really different.
22.People look down on my Latino customs.
23.I have trouble understanding others when they speak English.
24.I feel at home here in Georgia.
1-Not At All True‚ 2- Slightly True‚ 3- Somewhat True‚ 4- Very True
This instrument can be found at: http://scholarworks.gsu.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1009&context=psych_theses
Mena‚ F. J.‚ Padilla‚ A. M.‚ & Maldonado‚ M. (1987). Acculturative stress and specific coping strategies among immigrant and later generation students. Hispanic Journal of Behavioral Sciences‚ 9(2)‚ 207-225.