Putney and Middleton 1961
1. I believe that there is a physical Hell where men are punished after death for the sins of their lives.
2. I believe there is a supernatural being‚ the Devil‚ who continually tries to lead men into sin.
3. To me the most important work of the church is the saving of souls.
4. I believe that there is a life after death.
5. I believe there is a Divine plan and purpose for every living person and thing.
6. The only benefit one receives from prayer is psychological.*
1. I have a duty to help those who are confused about religion. 2. Even though it may create some unpleasant situations‚ it is important to help people become enlightened about religion. 3. There is no point In arguing about religion‚ because there is little chance of changing other people's minds.* 4. It doesn't really matter what an individual believes about religion as long as he is happy with it.* 5. I believe the world would really be a better place if more people held the views about religion which I hold. 6. I believe the world's problems are seriously aggravated by the fact that so many people are misguided about religion.
2. I find that my ideas on religion have a considerable influence on my views in other areas. 3. Believing as I do about religion is very important to being the kind of person I want to be. 4. If my ideas about religion were different‚ I believe that my way of life would be very different. 5. Religion is a subject in which I am not particularly interested.* 6. I very often think about matters relating to religion.
The fourth dimension‚ ambivalence‚ called for a Likert-type rating of the statement: "Although one is stronger than the other‚ there is part of me which believes in religion and part of me which does no."
* Reverse scored
orthodoxy‚ fanaticism‚ importance‚ and ambivalence
7= strong agreement; 6= moderate agreement; 5= slight agreement; 4= no answer or don't know; 3= slight disagreement; 2= moderate disagreement; 1= strong disagreement.
Putney‚ S. and Middleton‚ R. (1961). Dimensions and correlates of religious ideologies. Social Forces‚ 39(4)‚ 285-290.
Robinson‚ John P.‚ Shaver‚ Phillip R. (1969). Measures of Political Attitudes. Institute for Social Research‚ University of Michigan/. Ann Arbor‚ Michigan
Perryman‚ Mandy.‚ Barnard‚ Marie.‚ Terrell‚ Kassie. (2018). Counselor and Social Worker Perceptions of Sexual Minorities Related to Religiosity and Political Ideology. Social Work Values and Ethics‚ 15(1)‚ 4-12.
Summers‚ Alicia .‚ Hayward‚ R. David and Miller‚ Monica K.(2010) .Death Qualification as Systematic Exclusion of Jurors With Certain Religious and Other characteristics .Journal of Applied Social Psychology‚ 40(12)‚ 3218–3234.