1. Do you believe that most problems will solve themselves if you don’t fool with them?
2. Do you believe that you can stop yourself from catching a cold?
3. Are some people just born lucky?
4. Most of the time‚ do you feel that getting good grades means a great deal to you?
5. Are you often blamed for things that just aren’t your fault?
6. Do you believe that if somebody studies hard enough‚ he or she can pass any subject?
7. Do you feel that most of the time it doesn’t pay to try hard because things never turn outright anyway?
8. Do you feel that if things start out well in the morning that it’s going to be a great day‚ no matter what you do?
9. Do you feel that most of the time parents listen to what their children have to say?
10. Do you believe that wishing can make good things happen?
11. When you get criticized‚ does it usually seem it’s for no good reason at all?
12. Most of the time do you find it hard to change a friend’s (mind) opinion?
13. Do you think that cheering‚ more than luck‚ helps a team to win?
14. Do you feel that it is nearly impossible to change your parents’ mind about anything?
15. Do you believe that your parents should allow you to make most of your own decisions?
16. Do you feel that when you do something wrong there’s very little you can do to make it right?
17. Do you believe that most people are just born good at sports?
18. Are most of the other people your age and sex stronger than you are?
19. Do you feel that one of the best ways to handle most problems is just not to think about them?
20. Do you feel that you have a lot of choice in deciding whom your friends are?
21. If you find a four leaf clover‚ do you believe that it might bring good luck?
22. Do you often feel that whether or not you do your homework has much to do with what kinds of grades you get?
23. Do you feel that when a person your age is angry with you‚ there’s little you can do to stop him or her?
24. Have you ever had a good luck charm?
25. Do you believe that whether or not people like you depends on how you act?
26. Will your parents usually help you if you ask them to?
27. Have you ever felt that when people were angry with you‚ it was usually for no reason at all?
28. Most of the time‚ do you feel that you can change what might happen tomorrow by what you do today?
29. Do you believe that when bad things are going to happen they just are going to happen no matter what you do to try to stop them?
30. Do you think that people can get their own way if they just keep trying?
31. Most of the time‚ do you find it useless to try to get your own way at home?
32. Do you feel that when good things happen‚ they happen because of hard work?
33. Do you feel that when somebody your age wants to be your enemy‚ there’s little you can do to change matters?
34. Do you feel that it’s easy to get friends to do what you want them to do?
35. Do you usually feel that you have little to say about what you get to eat at home?
36. Do you feel that when someone doesn’t like you there’s little you can do about it?
37. Do you usually feel that it is almost useless to try in school because most other students are just plain smarter than you are?
38. Are you the kind of person that believes that planning ahead makes things turn out better?
39. Most of the time‚ do you feel that you have little to say about what your family decides to do?
40. Do you think it’s better to be smart than to be lucky?
The Nowicki-Strickland Locus of Control Scale for Adults‚ as presented in an email correspondence with S. Nowicki
Nowicki‚ Stephen‚ Jr.; Strickland‚ Bonnie R. A Locus of Control Scale for Children. Paper presented at the 79th Annual Convention of the American Psychological Association‚ Washington‚ D.C.‚ September 3-7‚1971.
Nowicki‚ S.‚ & Strickland‚ B. R. (1973). A locus of control scale for children. Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology‚ 1‚ 148-154.
Nowicki‚ S.‚ Jr.‚ & Strickland‚ B.R. (1978). The Nowicki–Strickland Personal Reaction Survey for 7th–12th graders. Atlanta‚ GA: Emory University‚ Department of Psychology