1. Do you believe that most problems will solve themselves if you just don’t fool with them?
2. Do you believe that you can stop yourself from catching a cold?
3. Are some kids just born lucky?
4. Most of the time do you feel that getting good grades means a great deal to you?
5. Are you often blames for things that just aren’t your fault?
6. Do you believe that if somebody studies hard enough he or she can pass any subject?
7. Do you feel that most of the time it doesn’t pay to try hard because things never turn out right anyway?
8. Do you feel that of things start out well in the morning that it’s going to be a good day no matter what you do?
9. Do you feel that most of the time parents listen to what their children have to say?
10. Do you believe that wishing can make good things happen?
11. When you get punished does it usually seem it’s for no good reason at all?
12. Most of the time do you find it hard to a friend’s (mind) opinion?
13. Do you think that cheering more than luck helps a team to win?
14. Do you feel that it’s nearly impossible to change your parents mind about anything?
15. Do you believe that your parents should allow you to make most of your decisions?
16. Do you feel that when you do something wrong there’s very little you can do to make it right?
17. Do you believe that most kids are just born good at sports?
18. Are most of the other kids your age stronger than you are?
19. Do you feel that one of the best way to handle most problems is just not to think about them?
20. Do you feel that you have a lot of choice in deciding who your friends are?
21. If you find a four leaf clover do you believe that it might bring you good luck?
22. Do you often feel that whether you do your homework has much to do with what kind of grades you get?
23. Do you feel that when a kid your age decides to hit you‚ there’s little you can do to stop him or her?
24. Have you ever had a good luck charm?
25. Do you believe that whether or not people like you depends on how you act?
26. Will your parents usually help you if you ask them to?
27. Have you felt that when people were mean to you it was usually for no reason at all?
28. Most of the time‚ do you feel that you can change what might happen tomorrow by what you do today?
29. Do you believe that when bad things are going to happen they just are going to happen no matter what you try to do to stop them?
30. Do you think that kids can get their own way if they just keep trying?
31. Most of the time do you find it useless to try to get your own way at home?
32. Do you feel that when good things happen they happen because of hard work?
33. Do you feel that when somebody your age wants to be your enemy there’s little you can do to change matters?
34. Do you feel that it’s easy to get friends to do what you want them to?
35. Do you usually feel that you have little to say about what you get to eat at home?
36. Do you feel that when someone doesn’t like you there is little you can do about it?
37. Do you usually feel that it’s almost useless to try in school because most other children are just plain smarter than you are?
38. Are you the kind of person who believes planning ahead makes things turn out better?
39. Most of the time‚ do you feel that you have little to say about what your family decides to do?
40. Do you think it’s better to be smart than to be lucky?
Nowicki-Strickland Locus of Control Scale‚ as found in Nowicki & Strickland (1971)
This instrument can be found at: http://files.eric.ed.gov/fulltext/ED058933.pdf
Nowicki‚ Stephen‚ Jr.; Strickland‚ Bonnie R. A Locus of Control Scale for Children. Paper presented at the 79th Annual Convention of the American Psychological Association‚ Washington‚ D.C.‚ September 3-7‚1971.