Student Measure of Culturally Responsive Teaching (SMCRT)
Dickson‚ Chun‚ Fernandez‚ 2016
My teacher(s) …
- explain what we are learning in different ways to help students learn.
- want parents to be involved in student learning.
- provide visual examples when explaining things.
- use things like videos‚ pictures‚ and guests to help students learn.
- want students from different cultures to respect one another.
- use what I already know to help me understand new ideas.
- try to communicate with my parents about my grades and what I am learning.
- treat all students like they are important members of the classroom.
- try to find out what interests me.
- use real-life examples to help explain things.
- use examples that are interesting to help students learn.
- use examples from my culture when teaching.
- ask about students’ home-life.
- are interested in my culture.
- ask about ways that students’ culture may be different from others.
- speak about contributions that my culture has made to science.
- help students learn about other students and their cultures.
- have talked about the ways that people from different cultures are not understood.
- have spoken in Spanish to me or to other students who speak Spanish.
- my teachers speak in Spanish.
- I have heard my teachers allow students to speak in Spanish at times in class.
Diverse Teaching Practice; Cultural Engagement; Diverse Language Affirmation
Gay‚ G. (2000). Culturally responsive teaching: Theory‚ research‚ and practice. New York‚ NY: Teachers College Press.
Gay‚ G. (2002). Culturally responsive teaching in special education for ethnically diverse students: Setting the stage. International Journal of Qualitative Studies in Education‚ 15‚ 613–629.
Siwatu‚ K. O. (2006‚ March). The development of the culturally responsive teaching standards: Implications for teacher education. Paper presented at the annual meeting of the Texas National Association of Multicultural Education‚ Lubbock‚ TX
Siwatu‚ K. O. (2007). Preservice teachers’ culturally responsive teaching self-efficacy and outcome expectancy beliefs. Teaching and Teacher Education‚ 23‚ 1086-1101.
Gay‚ G. (2010). Culturally responsive teaching: Theory‚ research‚ and practice (2nd ed.). New York‚ NY: Teachers College Press.
Dickson‚ Ginger L.‚ Chun‚ Heejung.‚ Fernandez‚ Ivelisse Torres. (2016). The Development and Initial Validation of the Student Measure of Culturally Responsive Teaching. Assessment for Effective Intervention‚ 41(3)‚ 1-14