1. I really dislike dull‚ dark‚ heavy looking buildings.
2. I like clear‚ open‚ airy buildings.
3. I prefer old‚ dark‚ heavy buildings with a history.
4. I perform at my best when there is a lot of sunlight coming into my work area.
5. I really dislike open‚ airy‚ sunny architecture.
6. I dislike new‚ modern architecture.
7. I am very irritable when I have to work in a dark building.
8. I am very alert in clean‚ clear‚ open buildings.
9. I am very irritable when I have to work in new modern buildings with lots of windows.
10.I am very alert when I am working in a building where there is little light.
11.I rarely do well on assignments when I work in a setting where the environment is ugly.
12.I usually do very well on assignments when I work in attractive buildings.
13.Working in unattractive environments does not affect the outcome of my work.
14.I do well on assignments when working where there are a lot of distractions.
15.I like to do my assignments in attractive buildings.
16.Doing my assignments in unattractive buildings does not impact my productivity.
Strongly Disagree = 1: Disagree = 2; are Neutral = 3; Agree = 4; Strongly Agree = 5
Scoring: To determine the score on the Environment Preference Assessment‚ complete the following steps:
Step 1. Add scores for items 3‚ 5‚ 6‚ 10‚ 13‚ 14‚ and 16
Step 2. Add the scores for items 1‚ 2‚ 4‚ 7‚ 8‚ 9‚ 11‚ 12‚ 15
Step 3. Complete the following formula: EPA = 42 + Total from Step 1 - Total from Step 2
Scores should between 16 and 80. Scores >58 indicates a preference for older architecture. Scores <38 indicates a preference for newer architecture. Scores between 38 and 58 indicate no major preference for older or newer environments.
This instrument can be found at: http://www.jamescmccroskey.com/measures/environment.htm
Richmond‚ V. P.‚ & McCroskey‚ J. C. (1995). Nonverbal behavior in interpersonal relations (3rd Ed.). Boston‚ MA: Allyn & Bacon.