7. Not in 8 but confined to bed
6. Not in 7 but confined to chair or wheelchair or able to move around in the home only with support from an assistant
5. Not in 6 but unable to undertake any paid employment. Unable to continue any education. Old people confined to home except for escorted outings and short walks and unable to do shopping. Housewives only able to perform a few simple tasks
4. Not in 5 but choice of work or performance at work very severely limited. Housewives and old people able to do light housework only‚ but able to go out shopping
3. Not in 4 but severe social disability and/or slight impairment of performance at work. Able to do all housework except very heavy tasks
2. Not in 3 but slight social disability
1. No disability
Pain and mental suffering
I. I No disability
II. II Slight social disability
III. III Severe social disability and/or slight impairment of performance at work
IV. IV Choice of work or performance at work severely limited Housewives and old people able to do light housework only‚but able to go shopping
V. V Unable to undertake any paid employment‚ Unable to continue any education
Old people confined to home except for escorted outings and short walks and unable to do any shopping
VI. VI Confined to chair or wheelchair or able to move around in the house only with support from an assistant
VII. VII Confined to bed
VIII. VIII Unconscious
A. A No distress
B. B Mild
C. C Moderate
D. D Severe
Rosser‚ R.M.‚ Watts‚ V.C. (1972). The measurement of hospital output. Int J Epidemiol‚ 1:361–368.
Rosser‚ R.M. (1976). Recent studies using a global approach to measuring illness. Med Care‚ ;14(suppl):138–147.
Rosser‚ R.M. (1987). A health index and output measure. In: Walker SR‚ Rosser RM‚ eds. Quality of life: assessment and application. Lancaster‚ U.K.: MTP Press‚ 133–160.
Rosser‚ R.‚ Kind‚ P. (1978). A scale of valuations of states of illness: is there a social consensus? International Journal of Epidemiology‚ 7(4): 347-358
Rosser‚ R. A history of the development of health indicators. In: Teeling-Smith G‚ ed. Measuring the social benefits of medicine. London: Office of Health Economics‚ 1983:50–62.
Rosser R. (1993). The history of health related quality of life in 101⁄2 paragraphs. J R Soc Med‚ 86:315–318.
McDowell‚ Ian. (2006). Measuring Health: A Guide to Rating Scales and Questionnaires‚ Third Edition. OXFORD UNIVERSITY PRESS