1. I actively seek as much information as I can in new situations.
2. I am the type of person who really enjoys the uncertainty of everyday life.
3. I am at my best when doing something that is complex or challenging.
4. Everywhere I go‚ I am out looking for new things or experiences.
5. I view challenging situations as an opportunity to grow and learn.
6. I like to do things that are a little frightening.
7. I am always looking for experiences that challenge how I think about myself and the world.
8. I prefer jobs that are excitingly unpredictable.
9. I frequently seek out opportunities to challenge myself and grow as a person.
10.I am the kind of person who embraces unfamiliar people‚ events‚ and places.
Kashdan et al (2004)
1. I would describe myself as someone who actively seeks as much information as I can in a new situation.
2. When I am participating in an activity‚ I tend to get so involved that I lose track of time.
3. I frequently find myself looking for new opportunities to grow as a person (e.g.‚
1. information‚ people‚ resources).
4. I am not the type of person who probes deeply into new situations or things.
5. When I am actively interested in something‚ it takes a great deal to interrupt me.
6. My friends would describe me as someone who is “extremely intense” when in the middle of doing something.
7. Everywhere I go‚ I am out looking for new things or experiences.
1=Very Slightly or Not At All‚ 2= A Little‚ 3= Moderately‚ 4= Quite a Bit‚ 5= Extremely
Stretching (Items 1‚ 3‚ 5‚ 7‚ and 9)‚ Embracing (items2‚ 4‚ 6‚ 8‚ and 10)
1= Strongly Disagree‚ 2= Disagree‚ 3= Somewhat Disagree‚ 4= Neither Agree nor Disagree‚ 5= Agree‚ 6= Somewhat Agree Strongly‚ 7= Agree
Item 4 is reverse scored.
Exploration subscale (items 1‚ 3‚ 4‚ and 7)‚ Absorption subscale (items 2‚ 5‚ 6)
Kashdan‚ T. B.‚ Rose‚ P.‚ & Fincham‚ F. D. (2004). Curiosity and exploration: Facilitating positive subjective experiences and personal growth opportunities. Journal of Personality Assessment‚ 82‚ 291-305
Kashdan‚ T. B.‚ Gallagher‚ M. W.‚ Silvia‚ P.‚ Breen‚ W. E.‚ Terhar‚ D.‚ & Steger‚ M. F. (2009). The Curiosity and Exploration Inventory-II: Development‚ factor structure‚ and initial psychometrics. Journal of Research in Personality‚ 43(6)‚ 987-998.
Kashdan‚ T.B.‚ McKnight‚ P.E.‚ Fincham‚ F.D.‚ & Rose‚ P. (2011). When curiosity breeds intimacy: Taking advantage of intimacy opportunities and transforming boring conversations. Journal of Personality‚ 79‚ 1369-1401.
Kashdan‚ T.B.‚ Dewall‚ C.N.‚ Pond‚ R.S.‚ Silvia‚ P.J.‚ Lambert‚ N.M.‚ Fincham‚ F.D.‚ Savostyanova‚ A.A.‚ & Keller‚ P.S. (in press). Curiosity protects against interpersonal aggression: Cross-sectional‚ daily process‚ and behavioral evidence. Journal of Personality.