1. I was sexually attracted to my partner immediately after we first met.
2. I feel a strong sexual “chemistry” toward my partner.
3. I have a very intense and satisfying sexual relationship with my partner.
4. I was sexually meant for my partner.
5. I became sexually involved rather quickly with my partner.
6. I have a strong sexual understanding of my partner.
7. My partner fits my notion of the ideal sexual partner.
8. I try to keep my partner a little uncertain about my sexual commitment to him/her.
9. I believe that what my partner doesn’t know about my sexual activity won’t hurt him/her.
10. I have not always told my partner about my previous sexual experiences.
11. I could end my sexual relationship with my partner rather easily and quickly.
12. My partner wouldn’t like hearing about some of the sexual experiences I’ve had with others.
13. When my partner becomes too sexually involved with me‚ I want to back off a little.
14. I like playing around with a number of people‚ including my partner and others.
15. The sexual relationship between myself and my partner started off rather slowly.
16. I had to “care” for my partner before I could make love to him/her.
17. I expect to always be a friend of my sexual partner.
18. The sex I have with my partner is better because it was preceded by a long friendship.
19. I was a friend of my sexual partner before we became lovers.
20. The sex my partner and I have is based on a deep friendship‚ not something mystical and mysterious.
21. Sex with my partner is highly satisfying because it developed out of a good friendship.
22. Before I made love with my partner‚ I spent some time evaluating her/his career potential.
23. I planned my life in a careful manner before I chose my sexual partner.
24. One of the reasons I chose my sexual partner is because of our similar backgrounds.
25. Before I made love with my sexual partner‚ I considered how s/he would reflect on my family.
26. It was important to me that my sexual partner be a good parent.
27. I thought about the implications for my career before I made love with my sexual partner.
28. I didn’t have sex with my partner until after I had considered our hereditary backgrounds.
29. When sex with my partner isn’t going right‚ I become upset.
30. If my sexual relationship with my partner ended‚ I would become extremely despondent and depressed.
31. Sometimes I am so sexually attracted to my partner that I simply can’t sleep.
32. When my partner sexually ignores me‚ I feel really sick.
33. Since my partner and I started having sex‚ I have not been able to concentrate on anything else.
34. If my partner became sexually involved with someone else‚ I wouldn’t be able to take it.
35. If my partner doesn’t have sex with me for a while‚ I sometimes do stupid things to get her/his sexual attention.
36. If my partner were having a sexual difficulty‚ I would definitely try to help as much as I could.
37. I would rather have a sexual problem myself than let my partner suffer though one.
38. I could never be sexually satisfied unless first my partner was sexually satisfied.
39. I am usually willing to forsake my own sexual needs in order to let my partner achieve hers/his own sexual needs.
40. My partner can use me the way s/he chooses in order for him/her to be sexually satisfied.
41. When my partner is sexually dissatisfied with me‚ I still accept him/her without reservations.
42. I would do practically any sexual activity that my partner wanted.
43. It would bother me if my sexual partner neglected my needs.
44. If I were to make love with a sexual partner‚ I’d take that person’s needs and feelings into account.
45. If a sexual partner were to do something sensual for me‚ I’d try to do the same for him/her.
46. I expect a sexual partner to be responsive to my sexual needs and feelings.
47. I would be willing to go out of my way to satisfy my sexual partner.
48. If I were feeling sexually needy‚ I’d ask my sexual partner for help.
49. If a sexual partner were to ignore my sexual needs‚ I’d feel hurt.
50. I think people should feel obligated to repay an intimate partner for sexual favors.
51. I would feel somewhat exploited if an intimate partner failed to repay me for a sexual favor.
52. I would probably keep track of the times a sexual partner asked me for a sensual pleasure.
53. When a person receives sexual pleasures from another‚ s/he ought to repay that person right away.
54. It’s best to make sure things are always kept “even” between two people in a sexual relationship.
55. I would do a special sexual favor for an intimate partner‚ only if that person did some special sexual favor for me.
56. If my sexual partner performed a sexual request for me‚ I would probably feel that I’d have to repay him/her later on.
A = Strongly agree with the statement.
B = Moderately agree with the statement.
C = Neutral – Neither agree nor disagree.
D = Moderately disagree with the statement.
E = Strongly disagree with the statement.
ROMANTIC APPROACH: items: 1-7
GAME-PLAYING APPROACH: items: 8-14
FRIENDSHIP APPROACH: items: 15-21
PRACTICAL APPROACH: items: 22-28
POSSESSIVE APPROACH: items: 29-35
ALTRUISTIC APPROACH: items: 36-42
COMMUNAL-CARING APPROACH: items: 36-42
EXCHANGE APPROACH: items: 50-56
Snell‚ W. E.‚ Jr. (1997). Sexual styles: A multidimensional approach to sexual relations. Paper presented at the annual meeting of the Midwestern Psychological Association‚ Chicago‚ IL.
Snell‚ W. E.‚ Jr. (in press). The Multidimensional Sexual Approach Questionnaire. In C. M. Davis‚ W. L. Yarber‚ and S. L. Davis (Eds.)‚ Handbook of sexuality-related measures. Newbury Park: Sage.