The reason I do not express my negative emotions to other people is because:
1. I think others would be upset with me‚ if I expressed these feelings.
2. I would feel guilty if I let my bad feelings come out.
3. I find it personally satisfying to be able to feel my emotions without letting them be disruptive.
4. Expressing negative emotions would just hurt others‚ and a person shouldn’t do that.
5. There are some situations where it is useful to express my feelings and others where it’s not.
6. I would feel like a bad person if I expressed my bad feelings to my friends.
7. My parents and friends expect me to control myself.
8. I enjoy being aware of my feelings but I also find it satisfying to maintain a positive outward appearance.
9. It is important to me personally not to be hurtful to others.
10. I don’t think I have the right to bother other people with my negative feelings.
11. As a caring person‚ I do not want to upset others with my negative feelings.
12. I’m afraid that people wouldn’t like me if I express my feelings.
13. It is important to be aware of my negative feelings‚ but if I keep them to myself it is to maintain emotional stability.
Sometimes when I am upset‚ I act like everything is all right‚ because:
14. I’d be ashamed of myself if I let my bad feelings come out.
15. The important thing is to understand my own upset‚ but it may not be useful to tell others about it.
16. I think it could ruin my relationships if I am always talking about what bothers me.
17. It is important to me not to burden others with my problems.
18. It is gratifying to be able to keep my upset from interfering with my goals.
19. I want others to think I’m mature.
20. It is an interesting challenge to remain calm and not always be getting upset.
21. I would be embarrassed if I let others see what was bothering me.
22. I feel that it is mature to maintain a positive attitude.
23. It is fulfilling to be able to achieve my goals even when I am upset.
24. I believe people should keep their upset to themselves.
25. I’m afraid people won’t like me if I let on what is wrong.
26. I choose to keep my bad feelings to myself so I can accomplish important projects.
27. I think I have to follow the social norms.
28. I want others to think I’m a good person.
ER= external regulation; JR = introjected regulation; DR= identified regulation; TR= integrated regulation
This instrument can be found on pages 332-333 of “The development of the self-regulation of withholding negative emotions questionnaire”‚ available online at: http://www.selfdeterminationtheory.org/SDT/documents/2002_KimDeciZuckerman.pdf
Strongly Disagree=1‚ Moderately Disagree=2‚ Slightly Disagree=3‚ Neutral=4‚ Slightly Agree=5‚ Moderately Agree=6‚ Strongly Agree=7
ER= external regulation items: 1‚ 7‚ 12‚ 16‚ 19‚ 25‚ and 27
JR = introjected regulation items: 2‚ 4‚ 6‚ 10‚ 14‚ 21‚ 24‚ and 28
DR= identified regulation items: 5‚ 9‚ 11‚ 13‚ 15‚ 17‚ 22‚ and 26
TR= integrated regulation items: 3‚ 8‚ 18‚ 20‚ and 23
Kim‚ Y‚ Deci‚ E. L.‚ & Zuckerman‚ M. (2002). The development of the self-regulation of withholding negative emotions questionnaire. Educational and Psychological Measurement‚ 62‚ 316-336.