HOW I TYPICALLY ACT TOWARDS MYSELF IN DIFFICULT TIMES
1. When I fail at something important to me‚ I become consumed by feelings of inadequacy.
2. I try to be understanding and patient towards those aspects of my personality that I do not like.
3. When something painful happens‚ I try to take a balanced view of the situation.
4. When I’m feeling down‚ I tend to feel like most other people are probably happier than I am.
5. I try to see my failings as part of the human condition.
6. When I’m going through a very hard time‚ I give myself the caring and tenderness I need.
7. When something upsets me‚ I try to keep my emotions in balance.
8. When I fail at something that’s important to me‚ I tend to feel alone in my failure.
9. When I’m feeling down‚ I tend to obsess and fixate on everything that’s wrong.
10. When I feel inadequate in some way‚ I try to remind myself that feelings of inadequacy are shared by most people.
11. I’m disapproving and judgmental about my own flaws and inadequacies.
12. I’m intolerant and impatient towards those aspects of my personality that I don’t like.
Self-Kindness‚ Self-Judgment‚ Common Humanity‚ Isolation‚ Mindfulness‚ and Over-identified
This instrument can be found at: http://www.self-compassion.org/scales-for-researchers.html
1 = Almost Never‚ 2‚ 3=Sometimes‚ 4‚ 5 = Almost Always
Self-Kindness Items: 2‚ 6
Self-Judgment Items: 11‚ 12
Common Humanity Items: 5‚ 10
Isolation Items: 4‚ 8
Mindfulness Items: 3‚ 7
Over-identified Items: 1‚ 9
To compute a total self-compassion score‚ reverse score the negative subscale items - self-judgment‚ isolation‚ and over-identification
To Whom it May Concern:
Please feel free to use the Self-Compassion Scale – Short Form in your research (12 items instead of 26 items). The short scale has a near perfect correlation with the long scale when examining total scores. We do not recommend using the short form if you are interested in subscale scores‚ since they’re less reliable with the short form. You can e-mail me with any questions you may have. The appropriate reference is listed below.
Kristin Neff‚ Ph. D.
e-mail: [email protected]
Raes‚ F.‚ Pommier‚ E.‚ Neff‚ K.‚ & Van Gucht‚ D. (2011). Construction and factorial validationof a short form of the Self-Compassion Scale. Clinical Psychology and Psychotherapy‚18‚ 250-255.