Meaning‚ Multidimensional Measurement of Religiousness
Kenneth I. Pargament. (1998).
1. My spiritual beliefs give meaning to my life’s joys and sorrows.
2. The goals of my life grow out of my understanding of God.
3. Without a sense of spirituality‚ my daily life would be meaningless.
4. The meaning in my life comes from feeling connected to other living things.
5. My religious beliefs help me find a purpose in even the most painful and confusing events in my life.
6. When I lose touch with God‚ I have a harder time feeling that there is purpose and meaning in life.
7. My spiritual beliefs give my life a sense of significance and purpose.
8. My mission in life is guided/shaped by my faith in God.
9. When I am disconnected from the spiritual dimension of my life‚ I lose my sense of purpose.
10.My relationship with God helps me find meaning in the ups and downs of life.
11.My life is significant because I am part of God’s plan.
12.What I try to do in my day-to-day life is important to me from a spiritual point of view.
13.I am trying to fulfill my God-given purpose in life.
14.Knowing that I am a part of something greater than myself gives meaning to my life.
15.Looking at the most troubling or confusing events from a spiritual perspective adds meaning to my life.
16.My purpose in life reflects what I believe God wants for me.
17.Without my religious foundation‚ my life would be meaningless.
18.My feelings of spirituality add meaning to the events in my life.
19.God plays a role in how I choose my path in life.
20.My spirituality helps define the goals I set for myself.
1. The events in my life unfold according to a divine or greater plan.
2. I have a sense of mission or calling in my own life.
Multidimensional Measurement of Religiousness/Spirituality for Use in Health Research: A Report of the Fetzer Institute/National Institute on Aging Working Group
1= Strongly disagree‚ 2= Disagree‚ 3 = Neutral‚ 4 = Agree‚ 5 =Strongly agree
Pargament KI. (1997). The Psychology of Religion and Coping: Theory‚ Research‚ Practice. New York‚ NY: Guilford Publications; 1997.
Pargament KI‚ Mahoney AM. Sacred‚. (1998). Purpose: Exploring the Implications of Spiritual Meaning for Physical and Mental Health. Unpublished manuscript.
Idler‚ E. L‚ Ellison‚ C. G.‚ George‚ L. K.‚ Krause‚ N.‚ Levin‚ J.‚ Ory‚ M.‚ Pargament‚ K.‚ Powell‚ L.‚ Williams‚ D.‚ Gordon‚ L.‚ & Musick‚ M. A. (2004). Measuring multiple dimensions of religion and spirituality for health research: Conceptual background and findings from the 1998 General Social Survey. Research on Aging‚ 25‚ 327-365.