1. Success in his work has to be man’s central goal in this life.
2. The best way for a young man to get the respect of other people is to get a job‚ take it seriously‚ and do it well.
3. A man owes it to his family to work at the best-paying job he can get.
4. A man should generally work overtime to make more money whenever he has the chance.
5. A man always deserves the respect of his wife and children.
6. It is essential for a man to always have the respect and admiration of everyone who knows him.
7. A man should never back down in the face of trouble.
8. I always like a man who’s totally sure of himself.
9. A man should always think everything out coolly and logically‚ and have rational reasons for everything he does.
10.A man should always try to project an air of confidence even if he really doesn’t feel confident inside.
11.A man must stand on his own two feet and never depend on other people to help him do things.
12.When a man is feeling pain he should not let it show.
13.Nobody respects a man very much who frequently talks about his worries‚ fears‚ and problems.
14.A good motto for a man would be “When the going gets tough‚ the tough get going.”
15.I think a young man should try to become physically tough‚ even if he’s not big.
16.Fists are sometimes the only way to get out of a bad situation.
17.A real man enjoys a bit of danger now and then
18.In some kinds of situations a man should be ready to use his fists‚ even if his wife or his girlfriend would object.
19.A man should always refuse to get into a fight‚ even if there seems to be no way to avoid it.
20.It bothers me when a man does something that I consider “feminine”
21.A man whose hobbies are cooking‚ sewing‚ and going to the ballet probably wouldn’t appeal to me
22.It is a bit embarrassing for a man to have a job that is usually filled by a woman.
23.Unless he was really desperate‚ I would probably advise a man to keep looking rather than accept a job as a secretary
24.If I heard about a man who was a hairdresser or a gourmet cook‚ I might wonder how masculine he was.
25.I think it’s extremely good for a boy to be taught to cook‚ sew‚ clean the house‚ and take care of younger children.
26.I might find it a little silly or embarrassing if a male friend of mine cried over a sad love scene in a movie.
Toughness (alpha 0.74)‚ status (alpha 0.81)‚ and anti-femininity (alpha 0.76)
1=Disagree‚ 2=Slightly Disagree‚ 3= Neither Agree nor disagree‚ 4=Slightly Agree‚ 5=Agree
Thompson‚ E. H.‚ & Pleck‚ J. (1986). The structure of male role norms. American Behavioral Scientist‚ 29‚ 531–543.
Thompson‚ E. H.‚ Jr.‚ & Bennett‚ K. M. (2015‚ February 2). Measurement of Masculinity Ideologies: A (Critical) Review. Psychology of Men & Masculinity. Advance online publication. http://dx.doi.org/10.1037/a0038609
Himmelstein‚ Mary. SUZANNE. (2014). Masculinity‚ Gender Stereotypes and Doctor Preference. New Brunswick Rutgers‚ The State University of New Jersey. master of Science dissertation.