IN GENERAL‚ HOW HAPPY OR UNHAPPY DO YOU USUALLY FEEL?
10. Extremely happy (feeling ecstatic‚ joyous‚ fantastic!)
9. Very happy (feeling really good‚ elated!)
8. Pretty happy (spirits high‚ feeling good.)
7. Mildly happy (feeling fairly good and somewhat cheerful.)
6. Slightly happy (just a bit above neutral.)
5. Neutral (not particularly happy or unhappy.)
4. Slightly unhappy (just a bit below neutral.)
3. Mildly unhappy (just a little low.)
2. Pretty unhappy (somewhat "blue‚" spirits down.)
1. Very unhappy (depressed‚ spirits very low.)
0. Extremely unhappy (utterly depressed‚ completely down.)
DIRECTIONS: Consider your emotions a moment further. On the average‚ what percent of the time do you feel happy? What percent of the time do you feel unhappy? What percent of the time do you feel neutral (neither happy nor unhappy)? Write down your best estimates‚ as well as you can‚ in the spaces below. Make sure the three figures add up to equal 100%.
ON THE AVERAGE:
The percent of the time I feel happy ____ %
The percent of the time I feel unhappy ____ %
The percent of the time I feel neutral ____ %
TOTAL: _____ 100 %
(0) ‘extremely unhappy’‚ to (5) ‘neutral’‚ to (10) ‘extremely happy’
combination score = [scale score * 10 + happy%]/2.
This instrument can be found at: http://worlddatabaseofhappiness.eur.nl/hap_bib/freetexts/fordyce_mw_1983.pdf
Fordyce‚ M. W. (1988). A review of research on The Happiness Measures: A sixty second index of happiness and mental health. Social Indicators Research‚ 20(4)‚ 355-381.