- How much confidence and trust is shown in subordinates?
- How free do they feel to talk to superiors about job?
- How often are subordinates’ ideas sought and used constructively?
- Is predominant use made of 1 fear, 2 threats, 3 punishment, 4 rewards, 5 involvement?
- Where is responsibility felt for achieving organization’s goals?
- How much cooperative teamwork exists?
- What is the usual direction of informational flow?
- How is downward communication accepted?
- How accurate is upward communication?
- How well do superiors know problems faced by subordinates?
- At what level are decisions made?
- Are subordinates involved in decisions related to their work?
- What does the decision-making process contribute to motivation?
- How are organizational goals established?
- How much covert resistance to goals is present?
- How concentrated are review and control functions?
- Is there an informal organization resisting the formal one?
- What are cost, productivity and other control data used for?
Scoring: A series of descriptive terms is used to define four positions along the continuum. For example: System 1 (Virtually None); System 2 (Some); System 3 (Substantial amount); and System 4 (A Great Deal).