Empathy Questionnaire (EmQue)
Rieffe‚ C.‚ Ketelaar‚ L.‚ & Wiefferink‚ C.H. (2010)
1. When another child cries‚ my child gets upset too.
2. When I make clear that I want some peace and quiet‚ my child tries not to bother me.
3. When my child sees other children laughing‚ he/she starts laughing too.
4. My child also needs to be comforted when another child is in pain.
5. When another child starts to cry‚ my child tries to comfort him/her.
6. When an adult gets angry with another child‚ my child watches attentively.
7. When another child makes a bad fall‚ shortly after my child pretends to fall too.
8. When another child gets upset‚ my child tries to cheer him/her up.
9. My child looks up when another child laughs.
10. When another child is upset‚ my child needs to be comforted too.
11. When I make clear that I want to do something by myself (e.g. read)‚ my child leaves me alone for a while.
12. When adults laugh‚ my child tries to get near them.
13. When another child gets frightened‚ my child freezes or starts to cry.
14. When two children are quarrelling‚ my child tries to stop them.
15. My child looks up when another child cries.
16. When other children argue‚ my child gets upset.
17. When another child gets frightened‚ my child tries to help him/her.
18. When another child is angry‚ my child stops his own play to watch.
19. When another child cries‚ my child looks away.
20. When other children quarrel‚ my child wants to see what is going on.
6 items measuring emotion contagion‚ 7 items measuring Attention to others’ emotions‚ and 6 items measuring Prosocial responses to others’ emotions.
This instrument can be found at: http://www.focusonemotions.nl/index.php/instrument-development & http://www.focusonemotions.nl/images/EmQue_English.pdf
Not at all applicable (as far as you are aware of)
A little or sometimes applicable
Clearly or often applicable
No‚ Sometimes‚ Often
Emotion Contagion; items (1‚ 4‚ 7‚ 10‚ 13‚ 16‚ and 19)
Attention to Others’ Feelings; items (3‚ 6‚ 9‚ 12‚ 15‚ 18‚ and 20)
Prosocial Actions; items(2‚ 5‚ 8‚ 11‚ 14‚ and 17)
Rieffe‚ C.‚ Ketelaar‚ L.‚ & Wiefferink‚ C.H. (2010). Assessing empathy in young children; construction and validation of an empathy questionnaire (EmQue). Personality and Individual Differences‚ 49‚ 362–367.