1. Imagine that you are going to a party where you will meet new people. You feel that drug/alcohol use will relax you and make you more confident. Could you avoid drug/alcohol use?
2. Imagine that you have just blown a good job‚ you are home alone and depressed. Would you give in to the urge to take drugs/alcohol which are in the house?
3. Imagine that you are home with a loved one‚ and feeling angry after a fight. You want to make up‚ but at the same time you want to get stoned/loaded. Could you resist the urge to take drugs/alcohol?
4. Imagine that you are feeling good and have no responsibilities for a couple of days. The only thing you see against getting a bit stoned/loaded is that you have promised yourself you would go straight for 2 months‚ and you still have 3 weeks to go. Would you take drugs/alcohol?
5. Imagine it is late‚ you cannot sleep and drugs/alcohol are available in the house. You have decided not to use drugs. Could you resist the urge to use drugs to help you get to sleep?
6. Imagine that a new job is starting tomorrow; you are going out with friends and expecting a good time. Could you resist the urge to celebrate with drugs/alcohol?
7. Imagine that you are home with your loved one‚ and very angry after a fight. You are tempted to get back at your partner by getting stoned/loaded. Would you give in to the temptation?
8. Imagine that a very important relationship has just ended‚ and you are very depressed. Would you give in to the urge to take drugs/alcohol’?
9. Imagine that you have run into 2 friends who are celebrating a $100 lottery win with drugs/alcohol. Could you resist their urging to join them in drug/alcohol use?
9. Imagine that you have run into 2 friends who are celebrating a win at horse racing with drugs. Could you resist their urging to join them in drug use?
10. Imagine that you are at a party and feeling uptight. Most people seem to be having a good time. You are tempted to use drugs/alcohol to loosen up. Would you?
11. Imagine that you promised yourself to stay straight for 2 months but you have just blown your 5 week record with one hit or drink. Would this situation lead you to take a second one?
12. Imagine that you had managed to stay straight for a near record time‚ but last night you blew it. Because of last night you are feeling weak. Would you take drugs/alcohol tonight?
13. Imagine that you are home alone and depressed. Could you resist the urge to go out and find some drugs/alcohol?
14. Imagine that a good friend has accused you of being insensitive. Now you are feeling hurt and tempted to use drugs/alcohol. Could you resist?
15. Imagine that a good friend is feeling miserable. He wants you to join him in heavy discussion and drug/alcohol use to pick his spirits up. Could you resist the urge to take drugs/alcohol?
16. Imagine that you are home alone; it is a dull weekend with nothing in particular to look forward to. You are bored. Would you give in to the urge to get stoned/loaded?
This instrument can be found at: http://www.emcdda.europa.eu/html.cfm/index3618EN.html & http://www.nd.gov.hk/pdf/bdf-2010R2-q03-eng.pdf
1=certainly yes; 2=probably yes; 3=likely yes; 4=can’t say; 5=probably no; 6=likely no; 7=certainly no.
Martin‚ G. W. (1992).
E-mail: [email protected]
Martin‚ G.W.‚ Wilkinson‚ D.A.‚ & Poulos‚ C.X. (1995). The drug avoidance self-efficacy scale. Journal of Substance Abuse‚ 7(2)‚ 151-163.