When was the last time you …
1. Stole something?
2. Stole something worth more than $50?
3. Damaged or destroyed property that didn’t belong to you?
4. Were detained or arrested by the police?
5. Were required to appear in court for something you had done?
6. Were sent to the principal or counselor for disciplinary reasons?
7. Skipped class?
8. Were suspended or expelled from school?
9. Were fired from a job?
This instrument can be found on pages 210-211 of Measuring Violence-Related Attitudes‚ Behaviors‚ and Influences Among Youths: A Compendium of Assessment Tools‚ available online at: http://www.cdc.gov/violenceprevention/pdf/YV_Compendium.pdf
- Within the past month
- Between 1 and 6 months ago
- Between 6 months and 1 year ago
- Over 1 year ago1
Items can be considered separately or as an index of violence-related behavior within a given time period. To create an index for past-year violent or violence-related behavior‚ a point should be given for each item with a check in one of the first three response categories‚ thus creating a possible range of 1-9.
Flewelling RL‚ Paschall MJ‚ Ringwalt CL. SAGE Baseline Survey. Research Triangle Park‚ NC: Research Triangle Institute‚ 1993.