BUTLER HAIGH Q-SORT
Negative: Contribute to score if fall on “unlike me” side (0-3)
· I put on a false front.
· I often feel humiliated.
· I doubt my sexual powers.
· I have a feeling of hopelessness.
· I have few values and standards of my own.
· It is difficult to control my aggression.
· I want to give up trying to cope with the world.
· I tend to be on my guard with people who are somewhat more friendly than I had expected.
· I usually feel driven.
· I feel helpless.
· My decisions are not my own.
· I am a hostile person.
· I am disorganized.
· I feel apathetic.
· I don’t trust my emotions.
· It’s pretty tough to be me.
· I have the feeling that I am just not facing things.
· I try not to think about my problems.
· I am shy.
· I am no one. Nothing seems to be me.
· I despise myself.
· I shrink from facing a crisis or difficulty.
· I just don’t respect myself.
· I am afraid of a full-fledged disagreement with a person.
· I can’t seem to make up my mind one way or the other.
· I am confused.
· I am a failure.
· I am afraid of sex.
· I have a horror of failing in anything I want to accomplish.
· I really am disturbed.
· All you have to do is just insist with me‚ and I give in.
· I feel insecure within myself.
· I have to protect myself with excuses‚ with rationalizing.
· I feel hopeless.
· I am unreliable.
· I am worthless.
· I dislike my own sexuality.
Positive: Contribute to score if fall on “like me” side (5-8)
· I make strong demands on myself .
· I often kick myself for the things I do.
· I have a warm emotional relationship with others.
· I am responsible for my troubles.
· I am a responsible person.
· I can accept most social values and standards.
· Self-control is no problem with me.
· I usually like people.
· I can usually live comfortably with the people around me.
· My hardest battles are with myself.
· I am optimistic.
· I am liked by most people who know me.
· I am sexually attractive.
· I can usually make up my mind and stick to it.
· I am contented.
· I am poised.
· I am impulsive
· I am a rational person.
· I am tolerant.
· I have an attractive personality.
· I am ambitious.
· I have initiative.
· I take a positive attitude toward myself.
· I am assertive.
· I am satisfied with myself.
· I am like able.
· My personality is attractive to the opposite sex.
· I am relaxed and nothing really bothers me.
· I am a hard worker.
· I feel emotionally mature.
· I am intelligent.
· I am self-reliant.
· I am different from others.
· I understand myself.
· I am a good mixer.
· I feel adequate.
Butler‚ J.M. and Haigh‚ G.V.‚ (1954). Changes in the relation between self-concepts and Ideal concepts consequent upon client-centered counseling. In C. Rogers and Rosalind Dymond (eds.)‚ Psychotherapy and personality change. Chicago: University of Chicago Press‚ 55-75.
Rogers‚ C.R. and Dymond‚ Rosalind F. (eds.)‚ (1954). Psychotherapy and personality change. Chicago: University of Chicago Press.
Wylie‚ R.‚ (1961). The self concept. Lincoln : University of Nebraska Press.
Robinson‚ John P.‚ Shaver‚ Phillip R. (1969). Measures of Political Attitudes. Institute for Social Research‚ University of Michigan/. Ann Arbor‚ Michigan